TT Postscript: Woods seemed free and straightforward with bogey-free 66
NASSAU, Bahamas — Tiger Woods had one other back-nine surge on the Hero World Problem – and this time, he didn’t stall out. Listed here are my ideas after watching his 6-under 66 within the Bahamas:
• Thursday introduced much less breezy situations, and Tiger was capable of take benefit. He saved the ball in play off the tee, dialed in a number of iron pictures and didn’t must play the wind on putts. Thus: A bogey-free day.
• As soon as once more he kicked his spherical into gear on the par-5 11th. That’s the place he made birdie within the opening spherical and performed the subsequent 4 holes in four beneath. Thursday, he made eagle after chasing a 215-yard 6-iron to five toes. He performed the subsequent 5 holes in four beneath, turning what seemed like a pedestrian spherical into a really, very stable one.
• Not gonna lie: I used to be a bit fearful when Tiger approached the closing two holes, after Wednesday’s debacle. However he hearted a 5-footer for par on 17, then completely piped a drive on the house gap that left him with a uncommon alternative to assault that flag. A par-par end by no means felt so good.
• Tiger mentioned afterward that he “didn’t do something poorly,” and it’s onerous to disagree. For the second straight spherical he swung freely with the driving force, discovering eight fairways. And 10 of his iron pictures, in keeping with my unofficial calculations, have been inside 15 toes. That’s good things.
• The 24 putts have been a very good signal, particularly after he missed a pair short- to mid-range seems to be within the opening spherical. Tiger chalked it as much as not having to issue wind into his reads.
• All people moved up the leaderboard Thursday, however this was precisely what Woods wanted to do. In every of his three wins over the previous 15 months, he’s been T-6 or higher after 36 holes. When he completed his spherical, no less than, he was in a tie for fourth.
• How a couple of tip of the cap to Tiger’s surgeon? Since his arthroscopic knee surgical procedure, Tiger is 25 beneath par in six rounds. He seems to be like a brand new man – and taking part in like a younger one.